For more inspiration visit www.shamarionwhitaker.com

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Premenopause Anyone?

My premenopausal symptoms started visiting me at age 35. I remember being at my doctor's office. I think I cried during the entire appointment. While the nurse drew my blood, I cried. While I waited to see the doctor, I cried. I had no idea why I was crying. Crying had become a pretty common thing. I could be in the grocery store or anywhere and out of nowhere, the tears would come. When the doctor told me what he thought was going on, I remember asking, "Don't you think I'm a little too young for this?" His answer was, "When a woman turns 35, after that, don't be surprised at anything that happens." That provided absolutely no comfort for the deep depression, tears, mood swings, and insomnia I was experiencing at the time.

I'm long past 35 and menopause is not far away. The average age for menopause is somewhere around 50-51. But the symptoms can start way before. Here are some of the premenopausal symptoms you may experience: fatigue, depression, weight gain or loss, hair loss, anxiety, feelings of gloom and doom, heart palpitations, mood swings, irritability and sudden tears, hot flashes, headaches, memory loss, vertigo, light headedness, increase in allergies, incontinence, sleeplessness and the list goes on. For an excellent article, check out this website. http://www.thirdage.com/menopause/28-cues-that-menopause-is-on-its-way.

The main symptoms I've recently experienced include anxiety, heart palpitations, mood swings, sudden tears, hot flashes and insomnia.

I'm not a person who is quick to get a prescription filled. I try to refrain from taking prescription meds unless absolutely necessary. So just yesterday, I set out to find a natural product, a supplement that would help with my symptoms.

I started my search by looking for notes from a conference I attended earlier this year. One of the speakers was a medical doctor who used to practice as a gynecologist. However, he's now into holistic treatment. As he spoke, I wrote down two natural supplements he mentioned that, as he put it, "...every woman should have." Well, after an aggressive search for my notes, I finally found them. One of the products he named is called L-theanine (pharmaceutical grade only.)

I immediately got on the Internet to research the product and found out that L-theanine is the exact same product found in green tea and it's excellent especially for menopausal symptoms like anxiety, mood swings and others. It helps with relaxation. Needless to say, I immediately went to the Whole Foods store and purchased the product. But before I left home, I drank two cups of green tea!

One of the things I read in the research is the fact that the product works really fast. Well, on the same day I purchased it, I took the first capsule, and now, just a day later, I can't tell you the difference I feel. I feel like a brand new person! For a supplement, it works really fast.

If your symptoms are similar to mine, I recommend you try the product. To make sure you're getting pharmaceutical grade, make sure you see the word, "suntheanine" on the package.

Here's a link to the product I purchased at Whole Foods. I paid $25. Amazon has it for $32 for a 2-pack of 60 capsules per pack. Check it out and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment